Max Verstappen's 2021 F1 win WILL NOT be canceled despite FIA ​​sacking Michael Masi

Max Verstappen’s 2021 F1 win WILL NOT be canceled despite FIA ​​sacking Michael Masi

Max Verstappen’s 2021 F1 win WILL NOT be canceled despite the FIA ​​sacking race director Michael Masi following his controversial decision in Abu Dhabi that stripped Lewis Hamilton of his eighth crown.

  • Michael Masi sacked as F1 racing director ahead of 2022 season
  • Masi’s controversial decision in Abu Dhabi passes title to Max Verstappen
  • Lewis Hamilton stripped of record eighth world title
  • Mercedes did not appeal the decision in December and Verstappen’s win stands

Max Verstappen’s 2021 F1 victory will not be canceled despite the fact that the FIA ​​declared his victory unfair by sacking race director Michael Masi.

Lewis Hamilton missed out on a record-breaking eighth crown due to the most controversial circumstances, such as Masi’s late resignation of the safety car, coupled with the separation of the five cars located between the Briton and Verstappen, at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. in December allowed the Dutchman to pass the Briton on newer tires to claim the championship for the first time.

After two months of deliberation, new FIA president Mohammed bin Sulayem confirmed on Thursday that Masi had left his position as director after three years and also announced changes to how Grand Prix is ​​run for the upcoming season.

Mercedes abandoned its plans to appeal Masi’s decision in December as Hamilton told his team he didn’t want his eighth title to be won in court.

Michael Masi was sacked as F1 race director on Thursday after the December farce.

Michael Masi was sacked as F1 race director on Thursday after the December farce.

Lewis Hamilton stripped of eighth F1 world title by Masi decision

Lewis Hamilton stripped of eighth F1 world title by Masi decision

Max Verstappen celebrates the coronation of the world champion in Abu Dhabi in December.

Max Verstappen celebrates the coronation of the world champion in Abu Dhabi in December.

Sportsmail’s Jonathan McAvoy said that Hamilton played a key role in revisiting Mercedes’ position and, although he was very upset at losing the triumph he most wanted, felt it was in F1’s interest not to go the legal route. way.

This is despite the fact that Mercedes’ lawyer Paul Harris QC felt he needed to present a convincing case. Central to Hamilton’s thoughts was the question of whether the FIA’s International Court of Appeal would ever contradict a decision made by their own body.

Eduardo Frietas and Niels Wittich will now rotate as race director, with Herbie Blasch supervising them as the new permanent senior advisor.

Following a controversial audio recording from Red Bull urging Masi to make the decisions that led to Verstappen’s title win, Ben Sulayem also announced that direct communication with the race director had been removed from the TV broadcast and that teams could now only ask questions in an unobtrusive manner.

Ben Sulayem also announced the creation of a virtual race control room to assist the race director from the FIA ​​offices, similar to how a video assistant referee works in football matches.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.