The out-of-court settlement between Prince Andrew and Virginia Giuffre will be seen by many as an “admission of guilt,” according to a royal expert.
The Duke abruptly settled a controversial sexual assault lawsuit after he negotiated an undisclosed £7.5 million deal with his accuser.
Andrew will now make a “substantial donation” to Mrs. Giuffre’s victim rights charity and praised her “bravery” and that of other trafficking victims, saying he “never intended” to tarnish her character.
Mrs. Giuffre, formerly known as Virginia Roberts, sued him last August, alleging that he sexually abused her over two decades ago when she was 17 years old, a minor under US law, while the deceased financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein traded it.
Andrew has always vehemently denied the allegations against him, and today’s agreement acknowledged no wrongdoing.
However, royal examiner Richard Fitzwilliams questioned why such a payment was agreed upon if he was so certain of his innocence.
Royal examiner Richard Fitzwilliams wondered why such a payment was agreed if Andrew was so certain of his innocence.
The Duke settled the sexual harassment lawsuit in dramatic fashion after he agreed to an undisclosed deal said to be worth £7.5m with his accuser.
He told the Sun, “Essentially, did he admit he did anything bad at all? No. Regret about his ties to Epstein doesn’t count. He professed his innocence, but resigned himself to what many would see as an admission of guilt. If he was innocent, then why did he pay?
Speaking to MailOnline, he added: “The relief at the Palace will be almost palpable now that the threat of further public humiliation of Andrew in this civil case has been lifted since this settlement was announced.” This has always been perfectly accurate, since 97 percent of the US population is arranged in this way.
“In two and a quarter years, he simultaneously managed to become a serious shame, a national joke and the worst symbol of law.
“If the case went to court, his humiliation would become an international matter.
“The interrogation he would soon face as part of his trial by the Virginia Roberts Giuffre legal team would also be devastating.
“While it would not overshadow the actual platinum anniversary celebration in June, this scandal would overshadow this unique royal year.
“Now that won’t happen and he continues to deny the allegations against him, but the public will not forget the Newsnight interview, the inexplicable photo and his disastrous friendship with Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.
“Therefore, he has no future royal role other than possibly helping to manage the royal estates at any time in the future for him.”
The settlement means that the civil case will not go to trial by jury, and also that Andrew will no longer be questioned under oath by Ms Giuffre’s lawyers, which was expected to happen in the coming weeks.
District Judge Lewis Kaplan confirmed tonight in an order: “The joint application for suspension of all terms and suspension is granted to the extent that the terms are suspended, and the action will be suspended until March 17, 2022, inclusive.
“In the event that a dismissal is not filed by then, it remains entirely possible that this action will be taken to court when previously indicated.”
Mrs. Giuffre, formerly known as Virginia Roberts, sued him last August, alleging he sexually abused her over two decades ago when she was 17, a minor under U.S. law while a late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein trafficked her.
Buckingham Palace today declined to comment on developments that are taking place ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations this summer in May and June, as well as a service at Westminster Abbey in memory of the late Prince Philip next month. Royal family sources told ITV News that the case involved the duke and his team of lawyers.
But the news will no doubt be welcomed by the Queen and other senior members of the royal family, and will also spare Andrew a series of potentially embarrassing revelations and accusations in the months leading up to and during the trial.
Mr Fitzwilliams added: “The amount he paid Virginia Roberts Giuffre in compensation has not been disclosed, but it is likely to be huge.
“He has a naval pension and an allowance from the Queen. He has also reportedly found a buyer for his chalet, which he shares ownership with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, with whom he cohabits, which has been put up for sale for £18m, paying off a debt to its former owner.
“We will probably never know how Andrew raised the money for this settlement. However, one thing is clear, this was an emergency and this scandal was deeply damaging to the monarchy.
“The royal family has many wealthy friends and it may well have been deemed necessary to bail out the queen’s second son in a year that has been truly unique for her and for the royal family.
“Andrew will remain in disgrace, he vehemently denies the accusations, but the court of opinion represented in the opinion polls is absolutely hostile, as is the press, and Princes Charles and Prince William have made it clear that he has no future role as a senior. working royal.
“This agreement recruits him as promising to join the fight against sex trafficking. Therefore, it is imperative that he assist the FBI in their efforts to track down Epstein’s accomplices, as he previously promised to do but did not. This is a terrible scandal, and it may not be over yet.