John Barrowman defended exposing himself on the set of Doctor Who and insisted that his behavior was not “sexual harassment”.
The 54-year-old actor, who played Jack Harkness on the series and its spin-off Torchwood, apologized in May for the historic incidents, after which the star stepped down from his role as a judge on ITV’s Dancing on Ice.
Speaking on Good Morning Britain on Tuesday, John lashed out at the “cancellation of culture”, saying it had gone “too far” and that people were trying to deprive him of his career.
Quote: John Barrowman defended exposing himself on the set of Doctor Who and insisted that his behavior was not “sexual harassment”.
Asked how he changed things after the argument, John said, “Well, I don’t think it was me who changed me. It was tomfoolery and it was stupid, we had a great time on set, it wasn’t sexual harassment.
“The public saw it. The cancellation culture tried to take my career away after 35. These stories are not new, I wrote about them in my autobiography.”
He added: “Cancellation culture is like hyenas trying to strip the meat from the bones. The cancellation culture has gone too far, now I’m ready to move on like everyone else.”
John said that the aftermath of the dispute was difficult to handle and he was very concerned about his reputation.
Sorry: The 54-year-old actor issued an apology in May for the historic incidents, and the star has since resigned from his judging role on ITV’s Dancing on Ice (pictured while filming Doctor Who in 2007).
He said: “It was very traumatic and frustrating for me and my family, the companies believed what was said on Twitter and not the people talking to me.” I did not sleep.
“I was so worried about what people were going to say. We need to learn to forgive, now was a different time. I would not do it now, because times are different.
“If I told all the secrets of the entertainment industry, I could write a huge book.”
Jon previously said that the drama surrounding his outburst on the set of Doctor Who was “exaggerated,” adding, “All the people making noise about it, they weren’t there, they don’t know the context of what was.” made”. .’
The TV star described his past actions on set as “stupid behaviour” and insisted to ITV’s Lorraine that he “would never do that now”.
John said: It was tomfoolery and it was stupid, we had a great time on the set, it was not sexual harassment. “The public saw it. Cancellation culture tried to take my career away
Asked by Lorraine if he feels his behavior has “crossed a line”, John agreed that if it happened today, it would, but immediately accused people of turning his actions into “sexual harassment”.
He explained, “I think if it was now, it would be a line crossing. I think what happened 15 years ago was lewd, stupid behavior, it happened within the confines of a film set and we were like a family working together.
“The fact is that these were stories that I have already told. I’ve been telling them for years. I didn’t hide anything, they were exaggerated and they tried to turn it into sexual harassment, which is absolutely not true.”
The actor continued, “The only thing for me is all the people who are making a fuss about it, they weren’t there, they don’t know the context of what was done. Continued beating is not good. We went further.
He added: “Cancellation culture is like hyenas trying to strip the meat from the bones. The cancellation culture has gone too far, I’m ready to move on like everyone else.”
Role: John played Captain Jack Harkness on Doctor Who and its spin-off Torchwood.
“Like I said, I would never do this now, but what we don’t allow people and me to do… we don’t allow people to learn to adapt and change, and that’s the most important thing.”
When asked if he feels he has “changed” and “adapted” from how he was in the past, John replied, “Of course, yes. And we went further. From now on, I want to move on and keep moving forward.”
John added to Lorraine that he was “nervous” about being interviewed and admits he feels like he constantly has to “control” everything he does, adding that he will continue to be his “outrageous” self, but in “different context”. .
He said, “I’m very nervous and it’s not me. The thing is, I know that throughout my career and everything I’ve done, I’ve been promoting people to be themselves, not to be ashamed of who you are, and at the moment I feel like I have to follow up. behind everything. .
– I’ll get through it. I’ll still be fun, I’ll still be stupid, I’ll still be outrageous, but in a different context than it was 15 years ago… And we can’t change that. This will not happen again”.
His side: John previously said the drama surrounding his outburst on the set of Doctor Who was “overdone”.
No charges have been filed against the media personality since allegations were made public in May that he had exposed himself following more serious allegations of sexual harassment against his Doctor Who co-star Noel Clarke.
The incidents came to light in a 2014 YouTube video filmed at the Chicago Tardis sci-fi convention.
It was published by The Guardian, which investigated Clarke’s behavior on the set of Doctor Who.
In an interview in front of a live audience, Clarke is seen regaling fellow cast members Annette Badland and Camille Coduri with stories about John’s behavior on the set of Doctor Who, exposing herself “every five seconds.”
In an interview with Weekend magazine, John said that his on-set demeanor was designed to “easing up the awkwardness” whenever he filmed a sex scene in Torchwood.
He said: “As Captain Jack Harkness, I was the star of Torchwood, so I felt I had to lead the company and entertain them. When I did a nude scene or a love scene, it was clear in the script that I was going to be naked and everyone had to know at least 48 hours in advance.
“So I waited in my trailer wearing only a bathrobe and a sock over my ‘parts. Then, if I stood and waited to shoot a scene where I had to get naked and someone came into view, I joked to calm them and myself.
“My actions were simply designed to defuse any potential embarrassment among the cast and crew.”
He added, “I’ve never been one to be body shy, so it didn’t bother me if anyone saw me naked.” The motivation for what I would call my “tomfoolery” was to maintain a playful atmosphere. There was absolutely nothing sexual about my actions, and I was never accused of this.
John revealed that he was called to a meeting with Doctor Who and Torchwood executive producer Julie Gardner, who advised him to control his behavior.
The actor added that he can now see that his behavior was “underage” and he wouldn’t do that today.
‘Exaggerated’: Speaking in an interview with Lorraine, John told his side of the story, as he candidly said, ‘All the people who make a fuss about it, they weren’t there, they don’t know the context of things. what was done’
In October, it was announced that John would not be returning to Dancing on Ice, where he has since been replaced by Oti Mabuse.
A source told The Sun at the time: “It’s going to be devastating for him. I clearly feel like it’s not good to have someone like John at the center of the family show scene.”
The channel said: “We thank John Barrowman for two brilliant years on the Dancing on Ice panel and are delighted to be working with him again as the host for upcoming editions of All Star Musicals.”
A show insider added: “John was not ‘fired’ from Dancing on Ice and we continue to work with him on ITV.”
John’s team said “John is very excited to be back at ITV as host of the new All Star Musicals” but declined to comment on his departure from the figure show.
Ax: It was announced in October that Jon would not be returning to Dancing on Ice, where he has since been replaced by Oti Mabuse (pictured in January 2021).
John previously told The Guardian that his “hot behavior” was “only meant to make you feel good” to entertain co-stars on set and backstage, not for sexual harassment, as he apologized for his behavior in the past.
“Looking back, I understand that the upset may have been caused by my violent behavior, and I apologized for this earlier,” he said. “After I apologized in November 2008, my understanding and behavior also changed.”
John broke his silence in May by taking to Instagram to share a video with fans from the garden of his Palm Springs home.
He said, “Hi everyone, this is John and I just want to say a big thank you to my entire fan family and everyone who has been reaching out with countless messages of support over the past few weeks.
“It meant so much to me and it really touched me to know that people support me, support me and send their love, all their appreciation and kind words.”
He captioned his post saying, “I hope we all get back together soon and I’m looking forward to it.” With love and gratitude.”
Saying: In May, the actor broke his silence in an Instagram video thanking fans for their support.